World Shakers

World Shakers: Inspiring Women Activists by Helen Wolfe
Publisher: Second Story Press
Special thanks to Second Story Press for sending a copy for review.

Summary:
What does it take to change the world? Whether it was the rule that forced Muslim women athletes like Ibtihaj Muhammad to choose between competition and wearing hijab or Indigenous women like Mary Two-Axe Earley to lose their official Indigenous status when they married white men, these women fought against it. Sometimes, they used their voice, like disability rights activist Judy Heumann, and Alicia Garza, the co-founder of Black Lives Matter. Sometimes, they led by example, like the STEM-loving Afghan Dreamers. All of them had the courage to shake the world and make a path for other women to follow (Goodreads).

Thoughts:

World Shakers: Inspiring Women Activists is an enlightening, must read novel. It shares the story of numerous female activists from diverse backgrounds who have fought for both women and human rights and changed society standards.

This book starts with an alluring hook that questions what the media focuses on. It shares how the majority of us know not only the name of celebrities but also minuscule details of their lives, while we likely don’t even know the name of any female activists highlighted in this book. I loved this hook because it exhibits exactly why the author wrote it. The introduction also makes readers re-evaluate why celebrities receive an excessive amount of media coverage while more important individuals receive limited–if any–media coverage.

Despite the short chapters about each activist, the author does a splendid job summarizing their lives while continuing to make each story feel personal; this felt similar to a memoir. I also liked that the author explains topics people may be unfamiliar with as this allows us to truly comprehend the effect of these female activists. For example, by explaining what it was like living as a black or “coloured” person during the Apartheid, we have the background knowledge to understand the extent of human and women rights Governor Pregaluxmi (Pregs) fought for. 

One story I found eye opening was on Judith Heumann who fought for disability rights. Judith developed a disability after being sick with polio and now uses a wheelchair. Judith grew up during a time before rights were established to protect those with disabilities. Judith faced discrimination and struggled to receive basic education. Reading Judith’s story, I was shocked that wheelchairs, crutches, and walkers were considered “fire-hazards” by school boards. This inhibited disabled people from receiving an education. This was also startling to read about because I often forget that disability rights have only been implemented in the Charter of Rights in the recent decades. This book also discusses other activists, such as Mary Two-Axe Earley who fought for Indigenous women’s rights, and Fatima Lodhi, Olakemi Obi, and Ogo Maduewesi who changed beauty standards.

Even though this story is meant for kids ages 9-12, I think this is a book everyone should read. It illuminates activists from various countries and reminds us that human and female rights around the world are not equal. Though I loved that the author shares the stories of a diverse group of activists, if she were to write a second installment of this book, I hope she also shares the story of women activists from Latino and East Asian backgrounds as well.

Reviewed by Shreya S.