Arya Khanna’s Bollywood Moment

Arya Khanna’s Bollywood Moment by Arushi Avachat
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Special thanks to Raincoast Books for sending a copy for review.

Summary:
Shaadi preparations are in full swing, which means lehenga shopping, taste testing, dance rehearsals, and best of all, Arya’s sister Alina is home. The Khannas are together again, finally, and Arya wants to enjoy it. So she stifles her lingering resentment towards Alina, plays mediator during her sister’s fights with their mother, and welcomes her future brother-in-law with open arms. (Okay, maybe enjoy isn’t exactly right.)

Meanwhile at school, Arya’s senior year dreams are unraveling. In between class and her part-time gig as a bookshop assistant, Arya struggles to navigate the aftermath of a bad breakup between her two best friends and a tense student council partnership with her rival, the frustratingly attractive Dean Merriweather.

Arya is determined to keep the peace at home and at school, but this shaadi season teaches Arya new realities: Alina won’t always be in the bedroom down the hall, Mamma’s sadness isn’t mendable, friendships must evolve, and life doesn’t always work out like her beloved Bollywood movies. But sometimes, the person you least expect will give you a glimpse of your dream sequence just when you need it most (Goodreads).

Thoughts:

I’ve been anticipating this read for a long time now, and it didn’t disappoint! Arushi Avachat’s depiction of Arya and Dean’s chemistry, the Bollywood and cultural references that reminded me of my own similar background, and various character relationships all instantly immersed me in the story, and this book now stands as one of my all-time favourites.

Arya and Dean’s romance is satisfying from start to finish. Their rivals-to-lovers dynamic is executed in-depth. I appreciate how Avachat doesn’t rush their romance and takes time to let it build; this fits well with their entertaining banter that continues into their romantic relationship. Despite their endless bickering that comes with being student council rivals, Arya and Dean are still civil and not “mean” towards each other. I especially love the way Dean pays close attention to Arya and shows he cares in different ways, such as writing her longhand letters, reading her favourite books, and watching Bollywood movies for her (when I wasn’t trying to keep my smile in check, my standards for love were being raised tremendously).

There are also numerous Bollywood and Desi culture references that appear frequently. As someone who comes from a similar Desi background, the relatability and understanding I felt made my reading experience more enjoyable. Throughout Arya’s sister’s wedding preparations, there are various mentions of Bollywood actors, movies, and songs, along with mouth-watering food descriptions and Desi terminology. I believe readers from other backgrounds would enjoy the incorporation of cultural elements all the same.

The book is separated into five acts, all of which focus on parts of Arya’s senior year and her sister’s wedding preparations. There’s also an “intermission” halfway through the book where the reader gets a small section of Arya’s diary and Bollywood movie recommendations. This is a unique feature that I’ve never seen in any other books. These frequent references add to the special South Asian wedding atmosphere and truly makes the book stand out as a Desi romance.

Lastly, the characterizations and different character relationships are three-dimensional and wonderfully written. For instance, Arya’s sister and mother’s relationship is strained, and she finds herself stuck between her two best friends and their recent breakup. These relationships brought out all the small things in the characters that make them feel like flawed, real people. Arya also eventually comes to terms with not always being able to fix her loved ones’ relationships for them, which also brought out Arya’s own teenage mistakes and flaws.

Overall, Arya Khanna’s Bollywood Moment is a beautifully written rivals-to-lovers Desi romance. With Avachat’s depictions of romantic and familial relationships, coupled with South Asian and Bollywood undertones, this book is an unforgettable one. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed by Raamiya A.